Are your services free?

All of our services are FREE of cost and available to eligible clients.

Who is eligible to use your services?

Newcomer Information Centres are funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to provide services to Permanent Residents, Convention Refugees and Prospective Newcomers inside and outside of Canada. Citizens, temporary residents and refugee claimants can receive basic information and referral and are provided with options based on their eligibility. For more information, please contact one of our locations.

Do I need to book an appointment to come to your centre?

NIC welcomes clients on a walk-in, first come, first served basis.

Appointments are only required for the following:

  • Commissioner of Oaths
  • Settlement Services
  • Group Sessions

Can I receive services in my language?

Our multi-lingual staff can speak over 22 languages combined. For language availability, please Click here to contact your preferred location.

I’m looking for a job, can you help?

Job searching is very important, our Information Counsellors can help you with your job search, and refer you to bridging programs, co-op placements, and volunteer opportunities in the community.

Further, most of our NIC centres are conveniently co-located with  Employment Services (which gives you direct access to specialized assistance during the same visit at our Peel centres).

Do you provide English/French classes?

NIC refers clients who are interested in improving their English/French language skills to the Canadian Language Assessment and Referral System (CLARS).

CLARS provides free English/French language assessments and referrals to classes for eligible immigrants seeking language training in Peel, Halton, Dufferin, York, Simcoe and Durham regions. For locations and contact information, please check our CLARS Language Assessment Centres.

Do you assist filling out government and other forms?

Through our partnerships with Settlement Service Providers, we do assist with filling out some government forms. When booking your appointment, please specify the type of form, to ensure we are able to assist you.

Does NIC provide Credential Evaluation?

We provide credential evaluation information sessions on a regular basis, in addition to one-to-one credential evaluation advice by representatives of authorized service providers.  Contact your preferred location for more info or to book your appointment.

Do you provide Notary Public Services?

NIC provides free Commissioner of Oaths services available by appointment at all of our centres and itinerant locations. Officers are able to take affidavits & statutory declarations, attest/certify true copies and administer oaths. An appointment is required for this service.

How do I register for an Information Session?

NIC offers off-site and in-house  information sessions and presentations on settlement-related topics. These sessions offer you an opportunity to learn, share and discuss your career development and orientation to Canada.

Registration is required. Register by phone, on-line, email or in person by speaking to one of our Information Counsellors.

Are you able to look after my children while I am accessing your services?

Care for Newcomer Children (CNC) is available, free of cost, at Selected locations. Our CNC program ensures the care for your children (6 months of age and above) meets their social, emotional, and intellectual needs while you access our on-site services.

I’m preparing to come to Canada, can you assist me?

The Newcomer Information Centre can assist with your international queries in orientation, preparedness for immigration to Canada through our Email Service.